*Speaking of salvation... hm. Last night, as I was thinking about how truly difficult it is to trust and follow God and how powerful promises made to God are, I realized that a large part of me is beginning to condem the stereotypical way of sharing the gospel... you know, the scare them with Hell, comfort them with love, lead them in a prayer that makes them feel better, play some emotional follow up songs, etc. Of course, my turmoil comes because that's how my youth group did things and that's how I saw everyone "get saved." Granted, very few of them still cling to and grow in the faith, but it was still my starting point. And as much as it now is beginning to anger me, it was a part of bringing me to Truth... even if that means I realize Truth is actually quite different than what they taught me. It's hard for me to condemn that "medthod" outright. But I believe this message of Salvation has been mis-expressed. I don't understand to what extreme or how much so, but it's been glossed over.
In the Bible, our relationship with Christ is compared to a marriage. Bridegroom and Bride. When you enter into a marriage, it is a covenant. Not to be broken. Not to be ignored. Not to be taken lightly. A covenant, a promise. If that's the sort of relationship that brings me salvation, then I've been misled since I've been given the impression that abandoning or wronging God over and over is, while a bad thing to do, acceptable, natural, and easily forgiven... but, uh, you can't do that in a marriage. That then leads to the question: what is salvation? If merely confessing belief earns a you a spot in heaven, then go ahead, continue with the method of mass evangelism. And that might be valid, I don't know. I don't know God's ways or another's intentions. But if we are required to enter into matrimony with God, then holy-crap, that's hardcore responsibility and committment on both parts. Don't think I'm talking about salvation through works. Not at all. But I guess I didn't know what I was getting into. It's like what M. Scott Peck talks about in his book The Road Less Traveled... 'falling in love' isn't real love; it's just emotions and bliss that 'traps' you into marriage (his word, not mine!). When that bliss starts to calm down, that's when actual love can begin to develop and the real work of a realtionship begins... So maybe those young, blonde, highly caffinated evangelists do some good. They can excite those emotions and cause people to 'fall in love' with the idea of Christianity... but if you stay at it long enough, you realize the bliss dims, and that's the true test. In this marriage with God, do you divorce when things get tough or do you work at loving Him every morning you wake up, understanding that you love Him no matter what sad, unpleasant things happen. Tough stuff. Scares me. But, apparently, it's worth it, this love thing is. :) ...Of couse, now the question is, how in the world do I "share the gospel" with my campers this summer? It's so easy to revert to what I've been taught, but how can I speak truth without scaring them away? Or without giving them the idea that they have to prove themselves or work to earn God's salvation? oie.
