Thursday, March 25, 2010

What I Learned From My Management Assignment

I believe that people have more worth than things.

I believe seeing and creating beauty in life is important and good.

I believe community and the connectedness among people is a vital part of our understanding Love.

I believe honesty is the only way we will begin to grow personally, relationally, and spiritually, and I believe we owe it to humanity to be honest with each other about our struggles and our salvation.

I believe the greatest education comes from experience, self-reflection, and from the lips of those around me, therefore I believe it’s important to step out into the world, to always test myself and to sort through my thoughts, and to pursue opportunities to listen to the hearts and thoughts of others.

I believe my life’s pursuit should be to know and love Truth, and I believe Jesus Christ is the key to that Truth. Furthermore, I believe that Truth is more than philosophy. It’s a lifestyle that should be inspired by the Spirit.

******

For my management class, we had to write statements about what beliefs drive and serve as our guiders in life. I sat down, and at first it was really hard. Finally, I just stepped out of the way and let my subconscious write. Those statements are what I came up with, and I think they're completely true for me.

We also had to write a "Popeye" statement, something that makes us say, "I can't stands it no more." What is it that makes us so upset that we do something about it. My first thought was sex trafficking. And while that is something that very strongly breaks me, I found out while trying to write this Popeye statement, that there was something more overarching that just sparks a fire in me. It's the dishonesty we live in. "Our culture is wrapped in dishonesty. Not intentional lying, but the lack of honesty leaves us deceived in so many ways about who we are, who we’re supposed to be, who everyone else is, and what things are truly happening in the world. In other words, it prevents us from reaching the Truth. My passion is for the Truth, and therefore it is also to encourage myself and others to engage in honesty with each other." I think this is why I'm strongly gravitating my career/life towards "promotion." I want to open up channels of communication, in a sense. I'm passionate about sex trafficking for many different reasons, but the thing that infuriated me the most about it was that I didn't know it was happening until last year. Someone failed to promote the truth.

Anyway. To me, that was a big personal eye-opener. I have a better grasp on my personal vision and how I approach the world. I mean, I've always known these things about myself, in a sense, but to see them in writing just solidifies it for me.