Monday, April 26, 2010

They made me do it.

I was FORCED to write. We had to write a poem for my New Testament Survey class in response to a reading about the book of Hebrews... and oh, I had such a hard time with it. But here it be.

*******

I sit in the midst of spring found again.

The holy art of cycles to remind us where we’ve been

And where we’re going,

What we’ve reaped and what we’re sowing.

New life emerges and hearts, they swell,

To be renewed since the last leaves fell.

But we know

That tomorrow will come

And some days we just won’t want to run.

But on this journey, we step

In behind the footprints that were left

Before us.

Making way for those behind us.

It’s a pilgrimage,

A moving through being,

Knowing that there’s more than just what we’re seeing.

An unstatic pursuit of perfection,

Redeeming creation.

And faith,

Which is the life that we seek

And thing we hold on to

When the skies seems bleak

And the winters come

And sun’s done shorn

And the soles of our feet become weathered and worn.

But still we step

In perseverance,

In faith that you hear us,

Towards the promise of the promised land.

Communion with the saints and those around us.

Our stories sound the same, just with different voices.

The seasons come and pass

And come and pass

And it seems like nothing’s meant to last.

And it all seems so redundant.

And it all seems so redundant.

But I suppose that’s the point.