I was at camp this past week, counseling Jr. High kids. Here are some of my thoughts about hearing God's voice, becoming a generation that loves God, loving troubled children, and waiting for God's plan in love.
So I sit
And curl my knees up to my chest
And breathe.
In. Out.
And listen for God.
I hear the wind,
Rushing through the trees
Making the leaves dance.
I hear the birds,
Singing songs to the heavens,
Chirping sweet lullabies.
I hear the silence
And then the scratching of squirrels
And the gentle lap of water against the dock.
"It's beautiful, Lord."
"Listen, I am in the whispers."
"I hear the whispers, Lord! They're beautiful."
"No. Listen. I will show you my greatest creation."
So I sit.
And curl my knees up to my chest
And breathe.
In. Out.
In. Out.
In. Out.
In. Out...
*****
Folly and self-deceit
Infiltrate complacent lives you lead.
Oh Sleepers, rise.
You must run the race to claim the prize.
A generation dies in apathy,
To self-centered to care; too blind to see.
Teen mothers cry and babies weep,
And Christians aren't Christians past Sunday's seat.
Oh Sleepers, rise.
Because now is the time
For a generation to care,
To share,
To live.
To realize there is more than money to give
To the people in need,
Those who hurt and cry and bleed.
It's time, you Children of the World, to state your case.
Time to turn from your sin and seek His face.
To love thy neighbor,
And to defend thy faith.
And to show the world you live
By Grace.
****
Bad child, bad child,
What would your father say?
Or has he left you all alone?
Is he a drunkard or a stray?
Oh, what brokenness the daddies bring
When they're not home to hold or to sing.
Restless babies can't be comforted to sleep.
And oh, how poor mama does weep
When her bed is left empty and the bills are not paid.
She dreams of strong arms and a Spanish maid.
Bad child, bad child.
Teachers scold, but you don't care.
No father to punish you and mama doesn't dare.
You're a hopeless case; they all say it's so
But you're all grown up now with no where to go.
No daddy's ever loved you and you think no one ever could
In search of love and attention, you don't do things like you should.
Two children of your own have come, but where can you be found?
You've left their mama all alone and the cycle's come back around.
Bad child, bad child.
Now you might never understand
The faithfulness of a heavenly Father,
Or learn to accept love from such a man.
****
Waiting.
Patiently waiting.
For a serenading
Of a love song
Or a declaration
Of affection.
Waiting.
Patiently waiting.
For a stirring of the soul.
Another half to make a whole.
A pursing.
A race of endurance
Where togetherness
Is the prize.
Waiting.
Patiently waiting.
Waiting.
Patiently waiting.
Waiting...
****
