Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Slightly Random Shiny Face Blog Post

Knowing where my heart's been the past couple weeks (months, even), this is a really random bit of writing. It's nothing fantastic or revolutionary, but it gives a little revival to this heart. I mean, I've actually started trying to read my Bible again. I've been in the gospel of John. I've since decided that it's my favorite gospel. John's a pretty cool kid, and I really like his portrayal of Jesus. Anywho, the summation of my heart is that I've been agitated, hardcore missing the community of believers that surrounds me while I'm at school, and this sense of trapped oppression that I always get when I'm cooped up for large quantities of time. That has been my heart these past two months. And then this morning, I was reading John 5. And let's pick it up there... 

Jesus is talking to the Jewish leaders who have decided they want to kill Jesus for healing on the Sabbath and claiming to be God, la-te-dah, and then he says this, 
"While accepting glory from one another, you don't seek the glory that comes from the only God" (verse 44).

So. God wants to glorify me. I mean, I've heard that, sorta. But it's an odd subject matter to wrap my mind around, honestly. I imagine Moses when I think of glory. I imagine how, after God revealed some of his glory to Moses, Moses covered his face because his skin was as brilliant as the sun. So, as a visual, I think of glory as being like light, like radiance, something that shines through you that is simply impossible to ignore. If someone compliments me or if I feel especially loved or appreciated by someone, we would say I have a certain "glow" about me. There's a hint of radiance, a hint of glory... but what would happen if I began living in God's glory? I mean, sometimes I can barely imagine not feeling guilty because of my sinful nature. I belong at the feet of God, groveling and constantly begging for forgiveness. I mean, there are a lot of days that I feel like a tick, living off the blood of Jesus as He suffers. Gross mental picture, sorry, ha. But if I'm reading this right, I should be seeking a radiance that comes from knowing I'm especially loved and appreciated by God. The radiance that would be shining through would be intoxicating. I don't know how, but I gotta drop this groveling peasant business I've taken on. I'm a freaking daughter of God, exalted with Him... because He wants me to be. The humility comes in knowing that the glory is never really mine, it's always His. But oh, to live in that glory, to seek the glory that comes from the only God... I mean, talk about being the light of the world, eh? We would glow from the constant knowledge that we are especially loved and appreciated by our creator. 

And like I said, it's not crazy new stuff, but it's an encouragement, a reminder, a spirit reviver. 

Cool beans. :)