Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Glossy Christianity & an Exploration of the Fear Paradox

The Gospel of Luke tells a story of a suffering savoir and a faith that calls us forth to suffer as well. I don’t know about you, but I was taught in church that Christ suffered so I wouldn’t have to. That idea sort of expands into the notion that many modern day Christians gloss over the gritty side of the religion we profess. I don’t think we do intentionally. It’s just easy. My God is rich in blessings and the beautiful lover of soul, the creator of the majesty that surrounds me. I wonder who God is to the starving Catholic family in Angola or to the 10-year-old sex slave in Thailand. I dunno, I can’t even imagine… but my point is that God is extremely multidimensional. He’s the ultimate paradox.  I think we need to accept this not as evidence against God, but simply as a way to direct our thinking.

 

**

 

“Fear the Lord your God and serve Him.” [Deuteronomy 10:20]

 

“Fear not, for I have redeemed you.” [Isaiah 43:1]

 

The fear of God. Now THAT is something we gloss over. The Bible says FEAR GOD and FEAR NOT. Perfect love casts out fear. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. So, to fear or not to fear, zat is zee question, eh? Obviously we have to do both. How? By understanding the paradox of both fearing and not fearing. We believe God is all-powerful, correct? With power comes fear. We have to understand who we approach when we enter the throne room. Reverence and respect are demanded. He is majestic and holy. Yet he tells us to approach the throne boldly. It’s like God is saying to us, “Do not forget the power I have. Do not forget who I am and who you are. Do not forget my jealous heart or my wrath. But don’t you dare let your fear prevent you from approaching my throne. I’ve sacrificed too much to open the doors for you to stand outside them.”

 

And thus we approach. In fear and fearless, ushered in by Love himself.