Friday, November 21, 2008

oh, blogs.

Last night was great. Usually I don't get worked up about holiday stuff because it ticks me off that everything's so commercialized... but last night the campus had Christmas lights up, and they served us a Thanksgiving meal (that was actually REALLY good). And then light flakes of snow started to fall. I couldn't stop smiling. I felt so beyond happy. Maybe it's because I'm away from home, and all of this reminds me of home. Hmm... I dunno. I didn't realize I was so sentimental. :)

and I'm sorta at the point where I don't feel like I have any authority or knowledge to write something inspiring or spiritual. Give it time, I'm sure my pride will be back soon. :(

In the mean time, a poem...

I miss the beginnings.

Of backyard club houses

And glass collections.

I miss the shade of the old apple tree.

Sitting on the fence posts,

Watching the sun go down.

I miss the imagination.

Of preschool husbands

And Barbie dolls.

Of raincoats turned to spy gear,

And piles of junk rendered treasures.

I miss the potato sack races

And hollyhock dolls.

Home videos and disposable cameras.

I miss the kite that flew away.

The innocence, the beauty, the simplicity.

I miss the beginnings.