Sunday, November 16, 2008

Slow Dance

I had a bunch of stuff I was going to write about today. I scribbled some notes on my church program of things I wanted to get out of my system and write about. Maybe I'll write about them some other day. I checked my e-mail, and someone had send me this forward. I've read it before, so I almost didn't take the time to look at it. But I did... thought I'd share.

This poem was written by a terminally ill young girl in a New York Hospital. 

SLOW DANCE

Have you ever
 watched kids 
On a merry-go-round?
 
Or listened to
 the rain 
Slapping on the ground? 
Ever followed a
 butterfly's erratic flight? 
Or gazed at the sun into the fading
 night? 

You better slow down.. 
Don't dance so
 fast. 
Time is short.
 
The music won't 
last. 

Do you run through each day 
On the
 fly? 
When you ask How are you?
 
Do you hear the
 reply? 
When the day is done
 
Do you lie in your
 bed 
With the next hundred chores
 
Running through
 your head? 

You'd better slow down
 
Don't dance so
 fast. 
Time is short.
 
The music won't
 last.

Ever told your child,
 
We'll do it
 tomorrow? 
And in your haste,
 
Not see his sorrow? 
Ever lost touch, 
Let a good
 friendship die 
Cause you never had time
 
To call
 and say,'Hi' 

You'd better slow down.
 
Don't dance so fast. 
Time is short.
 
The music won't
 last. 

When you run so fast to get somewhere
 
You
 miss half the fun of getting there. 
When you worry and hurry
 through your day, 
It is like an unopened
 gift.... 
Thrown away.
 
Life is not a
 race. 
Do take it slower
 
Hear the
 music 
Before the song is over.