Monday, December 15, 2008

Door Knockers

So... a while back, I signed up for this lady's devotional e-mails. She sends them a few times each week... and recently, I've started reading some of them. It's pretty ironic, because every single one has hit me right where I was that day. She sent this one out today. I thought it was a nice follow up to what I've been going through/writing about. I'm not being a heritic for asking questions and searching for the answers... in fact, I'm being Biblical. God reassured me today. I am seeking, asking, knocking right now... Lord, just help me not to give up.


PS- If you want to recieve her e-mails... I reccommend it to the highest degree... then send your e-mail address to swarren99@yahoo.com saying that you would like to sign up for her newsletter. 


Door Knockers


Then Jesus said to them, 'Suppose one of you went to your friend's house at midnight and said to him, 'Friend, loan me three loaves of bread. A friend of mine has come into town to visit me, but I have nothing for him to eat.' Your friend inside the house answers, 'Don't bother me! The door is already locked, and my children and I are in bed. I cannot get up and give you anything.' I tell you, if friendship is not enough to make him get up to give you the bread, your boldness will make him get up and give you whatever you need. So I tell you, ask, and God will give to you. Search, and you will find. Knock, and the door will open for you.'”---Luke 11:5-9 (NCV)


You are only as strong as your purpose, therefore let us choose reasons to act that are big, bold, righteous and eternal.”---Barry Munro


Life is too short to be little. Man is never so manly as when he feels deeply, acts boldly, and expresses himself with frankness and with fervor.”---Benjamin Disraeli



All weekend, in my mind, all I've been hearing is “Ask...Seek...Knock.”


Now, you all should know by now that I'm a pretty hard thinker and so, for me, what I've been pondering on, in a way like I never really have before, is what the Word says about each:


When you ASK, you will RECEIVE.


When you SEEK, you will FIND.


When you KNOCK, the DOOR will be OPENED. (Matthew 7:7-8)


Now, I've come to realize and accept that nothing about what the Godhead says or does is a coincidence, and so I know there's a reason for why Christ broke it down this way. All of these are “cause and effect” actions.


If I want to receive (to take into one's possession; to accept from another by hearing or listening; to take into the mind; apprehend mentally)something from him, I must ask (to request information about; inquire of; to call for; need; require) for it.


You have no idea how many times I have gone to God, not asking...but presuming, demanding, hinting. According to the scriptures, I cannot get anything from him that way.


If I want to find (to come upon by chance; meet with; to locate, attain, or obtain by search or effort ; to locate; recover; to discover or perceive after consideration; to gain or regain use of) something, Imust seek (to go in search or quest of; to try to find or discover by searching or questioning; to try to locate or discover; search for) it out.


What makes someone a lawyer? They searched for the knowledge needed to be one. What makes someone a good wife? She searches for the wisdom on how to become one. What makes someone an effective disciple of Christ? Well, according to John 8:31 (NKJV), “'If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed.'” So many people find themselves jealous (Galatians 5:26) of what other people have, the positions that they hold or the blessings/favor that they receive, and while yes, their GOD- ORDAINED purpose plays a part in it, another factor is their commitment to seeking what they wish to find. God says he gives wisdom to ALL without faultfinding (James 1:5). You want to know something...seek it out. One way or another, in God's time (Acts 1:7---Message), you will find it.


IF YOU WANT A DOOR OPENED, YOU MUST KNOCK.


Boy, when I tell you that all things work together for the good. (Romans 8:28) During my early adult years, one summer, I took a job as a door-to-door perfume saleswoman. I really appreciate the fact that my mom supported the decision (although every time she picked me up, I saw a “What are you doing?!?” look all over her face.) It was some of the most tiresome, frustrating, grueling work I had ever done, but you know what? It played a part in preparing me for what I do now.


As a freelancer, most of my day consists of “knocking on doors”. Sometimes they open, sometimes they don't, but as a result of that job (and yeah, a little of my buck wild DNA...thanks dad), it doesn't stop me from knocking...most times more than once. If I see something that I really want and I can't find any moral reason why it would be wrong to have it, I'm usually gonna go for it. And you know what? BIG DOORS with GREAT THINGS behind them have opened up to me as a result.


Family, this is what a door knocker is like in the spirit realm. I love how the lead scripture says that some people will have doors...barriers to and from entryways...any gateway marking an entrance or exit from one place or state to another...any means of approach, admittance, or access open for them simply because they were BOLD enough to knock. Knocking is not some punk move, either. To “knock” is to “strike with a hard blow”.


It could be a door to a job opportunity.


It could be a door to a failing relationship.


It could be a door to a certain contact or resource.


I don't know about you, but I almost hate the saying, “God never closes a door without opening a window.” GOD? He would close something only to open something smaller? My Bible says that he can do exceedingly above all that we ask or think (Ephesians 3:20) and so that leads me to believe that if he closes a door, it's because he has a BIGGER DOOR in mind.


All I need to do is be bold enough to knock on it.


When you're bold, you're courageous and daring...you're not hesitant to break certain rules of propriety...you're not fearful in the face of potential danger...you're someone who moves “beyond the usual limits of conventional thought or action”, and yes, there is a time when this is exactly what's required mind, body and spirit:


The wicked flee when no one pursues, but the righteous are bold as a lion.”---Proverbs 28:1 (NKJV)


Now, Lord, look on their threats, and grant to Your servants that with all boldness they may speak Your word...”---Acts 4:29 (NKJV)


...in whom we have boldness and access with confidence through faith in Him.”---Ephesians 3:12 (NKJV)


Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.”---Hebrews 4:16 (NKJV)


So we may boldly say: 'The LORD is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?'”---Hebrews 13:6 (NKJV)


Love has been perfected among us in this: that we may have boldness in the day of judgment; because as He is, so are we in this world.”---John 4:17 (NKJV)


The Lord is your helper, so really, what can man do to you?


So, as you go through today, think about the “cause and effect” of the actions you're taking. If you want to receive something...yes, ask for it. If you want to find something, search.


Oh, but if you want “anything providing a means of access (or escape)” opened for you, you gotta knock...BOLDLY.


(Hint: You might want to ask and seek if what's behind Door #1, #2 or #3 is worth the effort,first...perhaps that's why he listed it in that order, huh? God really does all things well.)


©Shellie R. Warren/2008