Monday, December 22, 2008

Heroes

In my spare time, I read myspace profiles. or facebook. whichever. It's sorta a weird thing to do, I'll admit. It's my Input (for all you Gallup StrengthsFinder nerds). Today I was reading profiles on myspace, and the Heroes box caught my attention. In that part of MY profile, I have "Jesus" (because that's total default) followed by a few random occupations, such as ice cream truck driver. I've never really had a "hero." Those papers I had to write about "your greatest hero"? Yeah, I bull crapped my way through them. Sad, I know. I've looked up to a few people, but they disappointed me in pivital moments of my life, so a bad taste was left in my mouth. I thought about it, again today, though... and I realized, in my first semester of college I've gained "heroes." They're "normal" people, but then again, they're not. They're above the norm. I've met people who take their stand for purity to extremes, and so encourage me in my own stand. I've met people who make a point of talking to or including me... as an outsider, that means a lot. I've seen people who are willing to be honest with me, and that earns my respect. I've seen teachers take an interest in me or ask me what's wrong when I'm having an awful day, even though they don't have to. These people approach Christianity with different view than I'm used to. Figures they would, since they've had a different impact on my than most of my "Christian" leaders in the past. It's amazing to have someone to look up to, someone to inspire me. Maybe my cynical heart will be healed a little through these relationships. God put these people in my life for a reason.