Spiritual gifts. I remember sitting at summer camp one year and the counselor asked us to go around in a circle and share with the group what we thought our spiritual gift was. Every single person said “servanthood,” because it was a cop-out answer, really. Me and this other guy said we had no clue.
This past summer when I went with my former high school FCA group on a missions trip to the Appalachian mountains, the same question came up. We were sitting in a circle, just like camp. And it got to me, and I shrugged. I didn’t know. The mom of my little sister’s best friend said to me, “Miranda, I think you have the gift of prophesy.” I raised my eyebrows at her. She continued, “Not like predicting the future or anything. I feel like you understand things better than most.” And I found that interesting, but it still didn’t really make too much sense. So I filed it away in the back of my mind.
This past week at the Beth Moore video women’s Bible study I do at my church here in Greenville, the idea of prophesy was touched on oh so briefly, but it hit me between the eyes. Beth Moore talked about how prophesy was "the speaking of truth." And for some reason, that wording hit me in a different way because that’s what I always say. I want to be a seeker and speaker of Truth. I was thinking about the Old Testament prophets and what they did. They saw wrong in their generation, but they also saw hope. They simply listened to what they believed God was saying to them, and then they spoke it or wrote it down for the people to hear or read. They saw things differently. It’s not something really mystical; it’s an understanding. And to be a prophet one must strongly commune with the Spirit.
That’s what I want. And on a small scale, that’s what I’ve been doing already. But I want to study and learn and be in relationship/communion with God so that I can more clearly hear his voice. It's a crazy idea. We’ll see what happens.
