This morning I went to a prayer meeting that lasted all night. I only went to the tail end of it, but here are just some of the verses/thoughts/ramblings that came from that time. Thought I'd share.
"I am feeble and utterly crushed; I groan in anguish of heart." -Psalm 38:8
"Blessed is the man who makes the Lord his trust." -Psalm 40:4
"Be pleased, O Lord, to save me." -Psalm 40:13
"As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?" -Psalm 42:1-2
"How lovely is your dwelling place, Oh Lord Almighty. My soul yerns, even faints, for the courts of the Lord; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God." -Psalm 84:1-2
"Restore us, O God Almighty." -Psalm 80:7
These broken people gather
Bringing their packages of pain and praise
As the King invites them to his table.
These thirsty people gather,
Parched like in a dry land with no water,
But the Man at the well promises one drop is eternal.
These empty people gather,
Souls hacked out by misplaced priorities and hurt,
The Healer comes to meet them here.
Here in this ark of humanity,
Release the dove.
All we have is this olive branch of hope.
Nothing more.
We see only the thing that traps us here,
And our souls grow weary in despair of our situation.
But that slight hope still calls these people to come,
To gather under bows of color that mark our covenant.
Someday, we will reach our promised land.
And we will gather in the exalted courts above,
Eternally whole. Eternally quenched. Eternally filled.
But for now,
Sustain us here.
Meet us here.
Fill us here,
Us, these broken, thirsty people.
