I’m connected to these people. These people who surround me, who live with me, who laugh and sometimes cry with me. I eat with them. I walk with them. I study with them. We are learning to be unselfish. We are learning that there is more to ourselves than what is within ourselves. Sometimes we need others to pull out of us what we can’t see. We are learning to trust, which is hard. We come from different places, and we are different people, but we are connected, intertwined by our humanity. We share fruit snacks and stories. We seek healing and understanding, which sometimes come only through the instruments of other people. We are each seeking an honesty, something that has been stolen from us through our society’s accepted deception. We are seeking a safe place. We test each other, to see if we are still loved when we reveal our true selves. We all bring baggage to the table and fear that our pasts and our failures define us. Time, however, shows us that love is a choice that requires effort and courage, that keeps no record of wrongs. We are humanity, broken yet hopeful. We heal and hurt each other. We wrong and forgive each other. We decide to love each other no matter what. We are Jesus to each other.
We are Community.
