*I love excellence. There's something amazing and beautiful about being the best that you can. It's why I love faculty recitals, Jackson Waters, or volleyball games. Plus, at the college level it's a whole new experience. I mean, in high school there was excellence. Our band was pretty good, as was our chorus, and the varsity volleyball games were about the pinacle of excellece in high school... but welcome to college, where everybody's amazing at what they do. Tonight, seeing the volleys back and forth, the perfect form while spiking, on-the-ground digs... ah, it was great.
*There is also this pulsing energy at volleyball games that I haven't found with any other sport. Volleyball has a rhythm. Bump. Set. Spike. The atmosphere actually reminds me a lot of Paris, which is odd, but just trust me... the energy is infectious and intense. A girl walked in during the forth game, sat down behind me, and said, "Wow, this is intense." That's what's cool about volleyball, you can just feel the atmosphere...
*I sorta wish I could be invisible at sports events... lol. I get too worked up. My competitive spirit just draws me into the game. So, I'll throw up my hands, groan in anguish, scream, etc. ha. I need a paper bag on my head... because sometimes people who know I'm supposedly quiet see me at sports events, they look at me funny. hm... awkward...
*I don't have a total sense of team spirit for Greenville yet. It will come, but right now, it's in the early development stage... like tonight, sure I cheered when our team made points, but I wasn't about a team. I would cheer (whether inwardly or outwardly) based on the play. If it was a sweet volley or an extreme show of talent, I rejoiced... no matter what team. Which is good, yes... but I'd like to cheer for my team. It might help if I knew the girls, but we can't all have everything...
*The POWER (capitalized for emphasis) of volleyball also gets me excited. It's harsh movements, powerful jumps and spikes... it's amazing to watch. Maybe that's one reason we have so many guys in the audience. Honestly, most of them are there because the girls are barely dressed in spandex... but I'll give a little credit to my opposing sex and say that they also like volleyball because guys are natually comptetive, and the power in volleyball satisfies or inspires that.
*Last thing... :) So, since this blog is cleverly named "the intended paradox," I shall point out a neat paradox in the rhelm of vball. Volleyball is "unpredictably mechanical." Bump, set, spike. Bump, set, spike. There is a pattern, a rhythm to volleyball that makes it predictable... but really, because every move is "expected," it has this unpredictable nature to it. If something goes better or worse than expected, then cheers are distributed accordingly. It's wonderful.
good times, volleyball. Gorsh, it's so intense... I miss it... almost. ;)
